John Browne - the PBBG Breakfast and his TV spots
Our breakfast speaker on June 10 was John Browne, a favorite and our only traditional annual speaker. John is an author, financial and political analyst, former Conservative Member of Parliament in the UK, former elite Grenadier Guardsman, and a perennial gold bug (often with very good reasons). The potential for the UK to disassociate from the European Union ("Brexit") can have a major effect on the world's financial and economic climate. John wrote an article about this, and it can be seen here. John's expert analysis can give attendees an insight that could be most important for both our attendees and their clients, especially for those in the financial services. Read John's bio here.
This was John's first presentation since recovering from surgery, and he still stood proud for his entire speech and barely went from his notes he was sure he was going to need! It was, as expected, a very enlightening and informative presentation. David Rogers (his bio is here) of the Palm Beach Daily News showed up for the meeting and wrote up an article on his presentation. You can read it on the Shiny Sheet or at this link.
John is returning to public speaking with fervor! John is set to speak for segments of the following shows (NOTE! dates updated on 6/17):
- Tuesday, June 14, on Neil Cavuto's Coast to Coast show on Fox Business (FBN) from 12:00 - 2:00 p.m.
- Monday, June 20 with Maria Bartiromo between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. on her FBN show
- Tuesday, June 21 with Liz Clamen from 3:10 to 3:15 p.m. on her FBN show
- Thursday, June 23 is understandably busy! It starts with Maria Bartiromo between 7:30 and 8:30 on her show on FBN, then on to Neil Cavuto's Coast to Coast show on FBN from 12:00-2:00 p.m., with Kelly Evans on CNBC's Closing Bell show from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., with Lou Dobbs' Tonight show on FBN from 7:00-8:00 p.m., and finally with Trish Regan on her FBN show, between 8:00 and 9:00 p.m.
- on Friday, June 24, John will finish his TV marathon with Maria Bartiromo on FBN from 7:30-8:30 a.m., and again with Neil Cavuto: Coast to Coast on FBN from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
John prepared the following deatiled points supporting Brexit (quoted directly from him), and plans to discuss these points on his CNBC appearance. He may also mention identical or similar points on his other TV spots.
"I would not like to take the anti BREXIT side for the following reasons.
You may not believe it, but I voted to join the EEC free trade area. When it morphed, clouded by deceit and downright lies into the EU's undemocratic superstate, I and many others realised we had been duped. I worked against it all my time as a Member of Parliament voting constantly against EU measures (once as the only Conservative which did not please my party whips!) and afterwards as a near founder member of UKIP, (which forced the BREXIT vote on Thursday) standing for them in two UK parliamentary and two euro parliamentary elections. I was made a VP of the UKIP. I have written many published articles, spoken and broadcast constantly against UK membership of the EU for over 30 years. I feel passionately about it and do not feel able to take an opposing view. It is far too serious a matter for me to play games with it.
The main two points I would wish to make are:
1.Why, as the second largest net contributor, a $24 billion a year trade deficit with the EU, a 'common law legal system (with juries and the onus of proof on the accuser), the world's largest financial centre closely tied very closely with New Your, an independent nuclear deterrent (closely aligned to that of the U.S) and a permanent seat on the UN Security Council, would England want to remain within the EU, where it is considered the 'odd man out' (not in the euro or the Schengen Plan etc.)? On the contrary, it is greatly to England's benefit to leave the socialist, over regulated, and undemocratic EU with its Code Napoleon legal system. Contrary to popular opinion, the EU needs the UK far more than the reverse. A BREXIT could herald the end of the EU and most seriously for the entire world the collapse of the euro, now the world's second currency. BREXIT likely will cause the euro to plummet as investors pile into gold, the dollar, Yen, some Yuan and yes, Sterling, driving them all to new highs! Currently, many investors are on the wrong side of this trade and risk fortunes.
2. The reason that Cameron adopted his 'Project Fear', was based on his assessment that voters are ignorant generally of economics and were fertile soil for government/ central bank and BBC induced false by the alarming fear tactics that he, the EU, Obama and even my old friend Jamie D have heaped on the British as blatant threats, normally unacceptable in elections. I would contrast this with UKIP's cleaver discarding of the EU's proposal to break up the UK into eleven regions, each reporting directly to Brussels, in favor of immigration. Unlike economic theory or future easily hidden EU plans for the dissolution of member nations, immigration is felt personally by most voters. Unlike economics, voters understand it very well and experience vividly the overstretch of social services, health, education, housing and police that it causes. Now they see it as an additional source of terrorism."
In addition to John's opinion on the benefits of gold as a secure hedge, Our President Tom Ross also introduced the Palm Beach Diamond Club, a new opportunity for accredited investors to purchase gem quality diamonds at African government/mine rough prices, and receive them as GIA certified cut diamonds at 50-100% wholesale value increase. Additional information can be found on our recent blog. Basic information on the Club can be found by clicking this link: https://www.sites.google.com/site/pbdiamonds/.